Infestation Insights: Expert Tips for Council Tenants Suffering From Pests

Discover how to handle pest infestation in council-owned properties, understand tenant and landlord responsibilities, and learn about housing disrepair claims.

A pest infestation in your council-owned home can be a distressing situation. From rodents nibbling on your belongings to insects compromising your health, the presence of pests can be a source of significant discomfort. This article aims to provide a thorough guide on how to deal with such infestation problems, including your responsibilities as a tenant, your landlord’s obligations, and the potential for a housing disrepair claim.

Understanding Pest Infestation

Pest infestation refers to the unwanted intrusion of creatures such as rats, mice, insects, or other vermin in your dwelling. These pests can pose serious health hazards and cause substantial damage to your property. Recognising the signs of an infestation is the first step towards resolving the issue. These signs may include:

  • Sightings of pests
  • Discovery of droppings or footprints
  • Damage to property or belongings
  • Unusual odour or discolouration

Potential Dangers of Pest Infestation

Pest infestations are not just annoying, they can be hazardous too. Rats and mice are known carriers of diseases. Similarly, certain insects can bite or sting, leading to allergic reactions. Pest infestations can also result in significant property damage, including damage to electrical wiring and structural components, leading to potential safety issues.

Tenant Responsibilities

As a tenant, you have certain responsibilities to maintain your property. This includes keeping it clean and tidy to avoid attracting pests. Additionally, you should report any pest infestation to your landlord as soon as you notice it. If the infestation is a result of your negligence, such as not disposing of food waste properly, you may be held responsible for the infestation, and the cost of pest control measures may fall on you.

Landlord Responsibilities

Landlords of council-owned properties have a legal obligation to provide a safe and habitable living environment for their tenants. If a pest infestation occurs due to structural issues with the property, such as holes in the walls or damaged windows, it is the landlord’s responsibility to address these issues. Failure to do so may result in a housing disrepair claim.

Reporting an Infestation to Your Landlord

When you notice signs of a pest infestation, it’s essential to report it to your landlord promptly. This should ideally be done in writing, clearly outlining the problem and requesting necessary action. If your landlord fails to address the issue within a reasonable timeframe, you may need to take further action.

When to Contact the Local Authority

If your landlord fails to address the pest infestation, you can contact your local authority’s environmental health department. They may have a duty to control pests and can provide advice or pest control services, sometimes for a fee.

Housing Disrepair Claims: Infestations

If your landlord neglects their duty to deal with a pest infestation, you might be entitled to make a housing disrepair claim. This can result in compensation for damages suffered due to the infestation, which can cover a range of issues, including:

  • Damage to personal belongings
  • Health issues resulting from the infestation
  • Inconvenience and distress caused by the infestation

Making a Housing Disrepair Claim

Making a housing disrepair claim can be complex, and it’s recommended to seek legal advice before proceeding. A solicitor can help you gather evidence, including photographs of the infestation and correspondence with your landlord, and guide you through the process.

Dealing with Infestations: Practical Tips

While dealing with an infestation can be stressful, there are some practical steps you can take to mitigate the issue:

  • Keep your property clean, especially food preparation and storage areas.
  • Store food in airtight containers.
  • Regularly remove rubbish from your property.
  • Seal any holes or cracks in walls, doors, and windows.
  • Seek professional pest control services, if necessary.


Dealing with a pest infestation in your council-owned property can be challenging, but understanding your rights and responsibilities can help you navigate the situation effectively. Remember, if your landlord fails to address the issue, you can contact FDM Solicitors for no-obligation advice. With the right approach, you can ensure that your home is safe, comfortable, and free from pests.

More From the Blog