Don't be forced to live in poor conditions

Are you a tenant living in substandard conditions that your landlord refuses to repair? Whether you’re living with water leaks, damp, mould or other disrepair issues, we can help.

If your rental home is not up to standard, our experts can help you make a claim for damages. We can compel your landlord to repair your home and even recover compensation for you, too.

Housing Disrepair Solicitors

You don’t need to accept poor living conditions. Your landlord has a legal obligation to ensure that your home is safe and suitable for you and your family. If they fail to keep your home safe and free from mould and other disrepair, we can help.

FDM Solicitors is here to help council and housing association tenants fight to get their homes repaired. In most cases, you will receive compensation too.

If you are struggling with disrepair in your home, get in touch with FDM Solicitors for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Start your CLAIM TODAY


Housing disrepair comes in many forms, of which all fall under the umbrella of your landlord’s responsibilities. They must make sure that the property is safe and habitable for you and your family. If not, then you may be able to make a claim.

We can help you claim for many different issues, including:

If you are living with any of the above and your landlord is refusing to help, then FDM Solicitors may be able to assist.

Can I Make A Housing Claim?

If you are unsure whether you are eligible to make a claim against your landlord, consider these three questions:


Have you been living with disrepair in your home for months, if not longer?


Have you made complaints to your landlord about the issues?


Has your landlord failed to take any action within a reasonable time?

If you have answered yes to all three questions you should make a claim today.

No win, no fee SERVICE

We have assisted thousands of tenants in restoring their quality of life and obtaining the compensation they deserve. Living in a poorly maintained property can be stressful and frustrating, but you don’t need to suffer in silence.

Our passion lies in advocating for tenants’ rights, especially when serious disrepair puts your belongings and possessions at risk. Our experienced team of solicitors will work tirelessly to build the strongest possible claim for disrepair to your landlord, using expert evidence and court action if necessary.

Your dedicated case handler will guide you through the legal process and answer any questions you may have.

At FDM Solicitors, we work on a strictly no-win, no-fee basis. If you follow the terms of our agreement, we won’t charge you if your claim is unsuccessful.

Although based in Manchester, FDM Solicitors have helped thousands of people across the UK claim housing disrepair compensation. If you are ready to file a claim, or have any questions about the process, please don’t hesitate to contact our housing disrepair team today. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Frequently asked questions

Housing Disrepair claims can be split into two main parts:

  1. A claim to force your landlord to repair your home as quickly as possible
  2. Compensation for the inconvenience, discomfort and distress you have suffered as a result

On average, housing disrepair cases can take between six to twelve months to settle completely. Rest assured however that we will do our best to get your repairs completed as soon as we can.

When a property falls into disrepair, the landlord has a legal obligation to make things right. If they fail to do so, the tenant can make a claim for compensation.

Common causes include:

  • Leaks
  • Damp and Mould
  • Blocked Drains
  • Faulty Electrics & Heating
  • Roof and Chimney issues
  • Rotten woodwork
  • Subsidence
  • Cracked Walls and Ceilings
  • Broken Windows and Doors
  • Pest and vermin infestations

We assess every claim on a case-by-case basis. Our main aim is to get your home repaired and for you to obtain compensation where possible. You can typically claim for the following:

  • The inconvenience of living in a property with disrepair
  • Personal property damaged by the disrepair
  • Personal injury caused by the disrepair

Absolutely – your local council is responsible for keeping your property in a good state of repair, to keep you and your family safe and well.

If your property is not being correctly maintained, and your landlord is refusing to help, you may have a council house disrepair claim.

We aim to have your repairs carried out and to obtain compensation on your behalf. We will ensure that your landlord carries out the repairs to a high standard.

The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the level of disrepair and the length of time that has passed since you first reported the issue to your landlord.

No, the repairs are paid for or carried out by your landlord so they won’t cost you a penny. Any compensation will be in addition to the repair work carried out.

Legally, as a Housing Association or Council House tenant, your landlord cannot evict you for starting a housing disrepair claim.

The only exception to this is if you are in rental arrears and do not have a payment plan in place. If you are in arrears, you should ensure you have a payment plan in place, even £1 a month is sufficient to protect you.

For private renters the law is different, and the Landlord can serve a Section 21 eviction notice. While there are campaigns to end this, at the moment we do not undertake claims relating to private landlords.

The disrepair in your property must have been ongoing for some time, (usually in excess of six months). Furthermore, you must have notified your landlord of the disrepair, and allowed them reasonable time to fix the issues, (usually in excess of three months).

No, your housing claim with us is on a “No-Win, No-Fee” basis. The agreement between us is called a “Conditional Fee Agreement” and the document is prepared by the Law Society.

We will explain the contents and obligations of this agreement at the time of making a claim with us. We will bear all of the upfront costs and you will only pay a fee from your damages if the claim is successful.

This “success fee” will only be deducted from your compensation at the end of the case.

If we are unable to obtain compensation for you, and you comply with our simple terms of use agreement, then you will not be charged a penny.

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of time you have to file a case against your landlord. We recommend that you get in touch as soon as possible.

FDM Solicitors works with clients across the UK who are tenants of a housing association, social housing or local council housing. If you reside within the UK and rent from any of the above, we can help.

Please note: We cannot currently accept claims against private landlords.

Start My Claim

FDM Solicitors offers it’s service on a strictly no win, no fee basis – and we won’t stop until we get you the outcome you deserve.

Related Blog Posts